Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Back-up Plan: Thai Curry Sauce

This morning my daughter started screaming that she poked herself in the eye. She came down and got kisses and then went back to her room. We had snow last night so the morning was chaotic with a school delay, shovelling etc. I never really looked at her eye again. This afternoon, I got a call from the school nurse, E was complaining of pain and her eye was still red and watery. The nurse thought she may have scratched the cornea and needed to be seen by a doctor. By the time I picked E up and then L at her school and drove to the doctor is was 4pm. Two hours later we confirmed a scratched cornea and received our prescription. It took two pharmacies to find one that even carried the eye drops. We got home just as my husband was arriving home. I fed the girls left-overs for dinner.

So I figured I would share one of my favorite dinner in a flash recipes. We have made this at least a dozen times and E regularly claims it is her favorite food. This sauce also freezes well.

Thai Curry Sauce - PDQ Vegetarian

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon Tamari Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon Corn Starch
1 14oz can of Light Coconut Milk
1/3 c Vegetable Broth
2 teaspoons Thai Curry Paste (We use the red)
1/2 teaspoon Basil
1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder

Directions:
Combine soy sauce and corn starch until smooth. In a small sauce pan, bring the rest of the ingredients to a simmer. Add the corn starch and soy sauce mixture. Stir until the sauce begins to thicken.

Serve over rice and vegetables or chicken. Sometimes I just serve it over rice and make a side salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment